USA F5J Team Selects and World Championships News
USA Team Selects Update
Last updated: July 12, 2021
As a result of “virus rescheduling” and the most recent FAI report from Steve Neu on RC Groups (link), the next FAI F5J World Championships (WC) has been rescheduled in Bulgaria to 2023. The next US Team Select event has been officially delayed to 2022 (link).
The Team Selects Process
Here is a general rundown of the process the USA F5J community follows that leads to the each Team Selects event that is held every 2 years.
- The organizing AMA body that is responsible for managing the USA F5J TS event is the USA FAI-F5 Team Selection Committee* that is headed by Steve Manganelli. Three members of that committee–David Beach, Lenny Keer, and Steve Neu are also F5J USA Tour Advisory Group members. Several other active F5J pilots are also on that committee. As such, the USA F5J community is well represented.
- The TS process is defined, in detail, in the 2018 Team Selection Program Plan. This is a perpetual document that explains the fees, procedures, etc. to be used in soliciting bids from clubs who wish to have the Team Selects at their field. This document also defines the process of selecting a team manager for the USA WC team.
- According to the Plan the USA F5J TS must be held between July 1 and October 30 of the year of the scheduled TS event. The specific date can be chosen by the hosting club based on expected weather and other club needs.
- Bids from potential hosting clubs must be sent to the AMA postmarked no later than March 31 of the TS event year.
- The TS event will be run under full FAI F5J rules. All AMRT (altimeter) units must be FAI approved. All planes will be inspected for FAI compliance before the TS contest commences. This may also include verification of minimum wing loading.
- The TS event must be conducted over a 3 or 4 day period. There are no fly-offs. All pilots compete all days. There is one discard over the entire TS event. All but the last day will be 10 minute rounds; the final day’s flights will be 15 minute rounds.
- Juniors will compete in the same matrix as senior competitors.
- The top 3 pilots from the juniors and seniors will comprise the USA WC team (i.e. 3 seniors, 3 juniors).
Early in the year of the TS event the committee chairman starts a new RC Groups thread on the Team Selects. That is the signal to clubs that are interested to prepare and send in their bids (proposals).
If you have any questions ask any of the F5 committee members. Thanks.
* Full F5 Team Select Committee list is available at this link. Scroll down to “F5B/F5D” list.
The 2019 USA WC team manager was David Beach. Website is here:
Team Selects for 2019 WC
Team Selects is the process of conducting one or more competition events with the goal of defining the team of USA pilots who fly at WC events. The USA Team Selects event was held in Denver on Sept 1-3 2018, details here, results here. Congrats to #1 Oleg Golovidov, #2 Charles Morris, and #3 Jonathan Garber for making the seniors team. Also congrats to #4 Toby Herrera for making it as a team alternate.
F5J WC 2019 Results
The event was held on August 12-16, 2019 in Trnava, Slovakia. See the September and November 2019 Tour newsletters for details on the WC event results.
F5J WC approval process with the AMA
The AMA has a formal program for supporting and sponsoring WC teams that includes funding assistance and insurance coverage for Team Selects and WC events. This program is thoroughly explained in the AMA’s World Championship Teams “Blue Book.” It is beyond the scope of this summary to cover all the details but suffice to say there were a number of formalities that had to be worked through but the AMA formally accepted F5J as a new WC competition format.